Friday, September 4, 2009

Oh la la????

As per yesterday's creative space, I've spent a bit of time today tweaking my shirt-skirt refashion.


So that's the back view, with the shirt buttons down the back. (Sorry, the photos are terrible! DIY mirror shots of my butt are not my strong suit). I'm pretty happy - I'll add a hook and eye or a tie, but I think that's it.
As for the front... well I've had some issues. It looks like a high-waisted skirt, but given that my bosoms have taken up residence where my 'true waist' should be, I won't be wearing it as one! It sits pretty happily at mid-waist. However, I do get THIS unattractive little problem:

Now all of youse proper seamstresses can probably tell me WHY this occurs. Is it the thin cotton fabric? Is it too tight around the hips - doesn't feel it - or not tight/shaped enough around the waist?
Anyhoo - it doesn't matter. Because I'm taking the quick-fix option:

Yep, Woolworths and Paris, together at last. It's all a bit French Maid, don't you think?

I've had this doiley in my stash for a while waiting for the perfect project. A little 'frilly apron' to smooth over the lumps and bumps. You may notice that the daggy shirt tag (Woolworths XL) is still sitting there on the yoke... I'm thinking about leaving it there as a little tribute to its roots. It makes me laugh.

I guess the final question is, to tuck or not to tuck?

20 comments:

  1. Gina, you're an up cycling re-fashioning genius! 'I'd love your vision for clothing re do's.
    'Not to tuck' and definitely keep the tag (it makes me smile too) get my vote. Peta

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOUR SKIRT IS AWESOME.... and yes I know that typing in capitals means I am yelling! The way you have incorporated so much of the original shirt into the skirt is amazing. The buttons down the back look great and the folded down top at the front.... wow. The doiley - while performing a cover up role - looks great. Who would have thought it do that.....I love the way your brain thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how gorgeous! Love it totally and absolutely... but I don't like the shirt on the outside I'm afraid... it just spoils the perfect line of it I think. Sorry Gina, as a shirt on the outside person myself that was hard to say, but if you want an honest answer, that was it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the doiley at the front, and I think I like it with the shirt tucked into the skirt so that you can see the feature yoke at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Gina!! Love it!! You know what, I think tucking in is the way to go. I'm still gettin used to the idea myself, as you know... And this skirt is the perfect excuse to try the tuck in, afteral who'd hide that fabulous and quirky Woolworths label away? mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo la la indeed Miss Gina! Well done!

    I don't know why it's puckering in that spot, might be a combination of all of what you suggested? I'd have to see it in person I think. Then I could figure it out.(she says this as though she is a proper seamstress!!)

    But I love the doily, I love the Woolworths and I love the buttons down the back. I love it all because it's so clever and so Gina.

    Oh and I like the blurry photos, gives it that 'shake my little tush on the catwalk' look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, its Fab!!!!!! love the doily. I think you should def leave the tag on ;0) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tag on. Tuck in. Voila! Bloody amazing, you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, it's truely gorgeous, looks so flattering and what a great style.
    It seems like there is too much fabric at the front, maybe some darts? The doily looks great though, I think better with than without.
    Definintly tuck it, gives you a beautiful line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for the tuck in too. Love it, especially the yoke. If you leave your shirt out, you lose that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tuck! Untucked makes it look like a plain skirt with a random doily on the front... Show off the specialness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so clever. Definitely tuck in. Love the buttons! (Re fabric at front - I always have trouble getting anything that's not bias cut to sit right - just the post-childbirth shape I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The doily is fabulous!! I am on my mission this week end re fashion... Atm it sounds like i am all talk hehe

    xo Steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the doily option. so cute! and definitely leave the label on (its a FEATURE). and i am not usually a tuck in girl, but this skirt is so fab that it should be shown off.

    anyway, i am off down the op-shop to see what i can find...

    ReplyDelete
  15. yep, love it- and usually not being one to ever tuck things in- it does look more tailored and schmiko tucked in I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever, and yes very French maid. Looks good either way tucked or untucked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helloooo! Good to meet you! Have you tried interfacing to tame the fabric around the front? I use the fusable stuff - helps to give a bit of shape to the garment particularly when the fabric is thinnish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute skirt. Very feminine. I'd tuck it in also. You must be the re-fashioning queen of blogland, Gina ;-)

    ReplyDelete

“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
~Albert Einstein